Sunday, February 26, 2012

Arrival

Hello everyone! Yes, I am still alive. I just haven't had internet access in a while. Staging was hectic. As soon as we arrived we went through registration and straight into the orientation... aka awkward ice breakers. I'm glad we have such a funny Water/Sanitation group. It actually made the 5 hour session bearable. 
WATSAN trainee group at staging

Overall, the entire first week as a whirlwind of change and new faces. We arrived in Ghana around 7:30pm on Feb 8th. Everyone seemed to suffer from extreme jetlag. Depending on where everyone was from, some had it worst than others. On top of that, we had been in an airport or plane for the previous 20-23 hours prior to arrival.

We were welcomed by an entire goup of PC staff and rushed to a bus outside the airport. apparently we had arrived during a Ghanaian soccer game so "not that many" people were out.  YEAH RIGHT! The streets were incredibly crowded, as if a huge street festival was taking place. I would hate to see the airport on a "normal" day. We got on the bus and were welcomed by Mikey and Beth, our PCVLs (Peace Corps Volunteer Leaders). 

As we headed into Valley View (the campus where we would spend the next week) the PCVLs gave us the rundown of the week's itenerary, some cultural do's and dont's, along with a speech saying how 99% of volunteers join "the club"...if you have traveled to a developing country you know what I'm talking about..in other words, it means that I might not make it to the bathroom in time, and apparently most of the volunteers experience this AT LEAST once. What a great thing to look forward to! HAHA!

 First night at Valley View Chau and I decided to room together. This worked out perfectly! Since I am afraid of spiders and she is afraid of snakes, we decided to be each other's body guard. But to tell you the truth, if I see a snake, you better believe I'm running the other way. Sorry Chau!
 our room at Valley View and Chau
 bathroom-flushing toilet, and bucket baths
another view of our room

1 comment:

  1. The WATSAN group looks like a fun group of people. I couldn't help but notice that the one girl in front and center is doing the :-D face (more commonly known as the "D" face") So she's bound to be a good time! As for "the club"... I'm waiting for your "today was the day" post. I was surprised by the pics of your room at Valley View. Aside from the bathing situation, it looks pretty similar to most crappy dorms I've stayed in. I'm sure it's probably short of a few luxuries that we have here though. Speaking of luxuries... bet you miss that flushing toilet! :-/

    ReplyDelete