Sunday, March 11, 2012

The Greeting Gauntlet


Ghanaians like to greet. There's no other way to put it. Sometimes up to three times a day. This is very different from the majority of American culture. When in Ghana, one MUST greet. This is how it usually goes:

"Good morning. How are you?"
"I am fine. And you?"
"Fine."
"Where are you going?"
"I'm going to school/home."
"Ok go and come."

Sometimes these greetings get humorous, especially with the younger kids. Sometimes I say "Goodmorning," and they reply "I am fine." I always think this is funny ...like, "just so you know, I'm doing great over here!"

On one hand they are very blunt and straight to the point... like "Hi i'm fine, now I have to go." And the escape from greetings are never awkward. You just tell someone you have to go, where you are going, and promise to come back. That's it!

BUT, on the other hand, greetings can be VERY tiring... which is why one PCT deemed it The Greeting Gauntlet. Greetings are finally starting to feel normal now, but imagine stopping to talk on the way to work/school, home for lunch, back to work/school, and at the end of the day. Now multiply that by 30 people each way. A walk that would normally take 15 minutes, now takes around 30. And, that's what we do here every day.

One reason for this, is that in the Ghanaian culture, a sense of community and respect are very important. So when a younger person passes an elderly person, the younger one is expected to greet first. Another reason is to show that you genuinely care about the person's well being. Ghanaians love knowing that others are feeling good and happy. Just knowing this makes them really happy.
Although it can get tiring at times, I've already noticed that I get excited to greet certain people and see a familiar face. When the people I usually greet are in a bad or not there that day, my day starts out bad. It's strange to see how contagious the sense of community is here.

3 comments:

  1. That is so cool that they do that. I really like that idea of people caring about the ones around them enough to greet them and ask how they are doing. We definitely don't see that all the time here, it's very unifying. I love the pictures of the waterfall, I would've loved to see that and maybe even jump in the water... if it was safe of course ;) which reminds me... how are the animals there, do you get to explore much?? I am dying to read more!! You look good Sheila, I feel like a mom when I say this but, I am very proud of you, along with a million other people, for doing what you're doing. I think it's great, and you're not missing out on too much back here .. UK lost to Vandy in the SECC Championship. Big upset haha I don't keep up with that stuff much but Anne harps on me about it like I HAVE to be a dedicated fan just because I live in the BIG BLUE NATION! You're family looks sweet, I bet those kids will fall in love with you and I'm sure you'll fall in love with them if you haven't already. It's the best being around children because they are so innocent... for the most part. I know some can be badass's but they are always learning and watching whether we know or not... and if they are around you long enough, they will do and say things that they you say and do... it can be very satisfying sometimes. I can imagine you dressed like Pocahontas sauntering through the forest with a tiny cloth wrapped around your waste, gathering berries and nuts, talking-raccoon-friend strapped firmly on your back, a wise-old grandma willow-tree to talk to and take advice from, and of course a peace pipe... for none of this would be without the peace pipe, for it holds in the bowl a "special" powder given to you by the God's of the forest.
    I couldn't help it I had to add a lil story for you. hahaha
    Well back to work for me... Can't wait to read more!!!
    --IVY!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. **and if they are around you long enough, they will do and say things that you say and do...

      Delete
  2. I am glad you like my country and its people. Enjoy your stay.

    ReplyDelete